Slice into this unassuming Triple Strawberry Pound Cake to find a surprise berry-brilliant interior. In sweet shades of strawberry and vanilla ombre, this velvety Triple Strawberry Pound Cake is the epitome of the colors and flavors of spring.
Triple Strawberry Pound Cake
- 2 cups (454 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- 3 cups (600 grams) granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon (3 grams) kosher salt
- 7 large eggs (350 grams), room temperature
- 2 teaspoons (8 grams) vanilla extract
- 3½ cups (438 grams) all-purpose flour, divided
- ⅓ cup (80 grams) sour cream
- ½ cup (160 grams) strawberry preserves, divided
- 16 drops liquid red food coloring*, divided
- 1½ cups (30 grams) freeze-dried strawberries
- Strawberry Glaze (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 300°F (150°C). Butter and flour a 10-inch tube pan. Wrap exterior of pan in foil with shiny side facing out. (See Note.)
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter, sugar, and salt at medium speed until fluffy, 6 to 7 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Divide batter among 3 bowls (460 grams each).
- In first bowl, fold in 1¼ cups (156 grams) flour alternately with sour cream, beginning and ending with flour, just until combined. Set aside.
- In second bowl, fold in 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons (141 grams) flour alternately with ¼ cup (80 grams) strawberry preserves and 6 drops food coloring, beginning and ending with flour, just until combined Set aside.
- In the container of a blender, blend freeze-dried strawberries to a fine powder.
- In a small bowl, whisk together ¼ cup (21 grams) freeze-dried strawberry powder and remaining 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons (141 grams) flour. Fold flour mixture into remaining batter alternately with remaining ¼ cup (80 grams) strawberry preserves and remaining 10 drops food coloring, beginning and ending with flour mixture, just until combined.
- Spoon plain vanilla batter into prepared pan, smoothing top. Gently spoon light pink batter on top, smoothing top. Gently spoon dark pink batter on top, smoothing top.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean or an instant-read thermometer inserted near center registers 205°F (96°C) to 210°F (99°C), 2 hours to 2 hours and 10 minutes, loosely covering top of pan with foil after 1 hour and 15 minutes of baking to prevent excess browning, if necessary. Let cool in pan for 15 minutes. Invert cake onto a plate, and unmold from pan. Let cool completely on a wire rack. Top with Strawberry Glaze.
*We used McCormick Red Food Color. You can also use gel food coloring, but the color will not be as vibrant.
Note: Because this cake has a long bake time, we wrapped the pan in foil to prevent the crust from becoming too dark. The foil shield also helps the cake rise and bake evenly throughout.
- 1½ cups (180 grams) confectioners’ sugar
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons (120 grams) strawberry preserves
- ½ tablespoon (7.5 grams) whole milk
- In a medium bowl, whisk together all ingredients until smooth. Use immediately.
The post Triple Strawberry Pound Cake appeared first on Bake from Scratch.