Classic Hummingbird Cake
- 3½ cups (438 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (200 grams) granulated sugar
- 1 cup (220 grams) firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1¼ teaspoons (6.25 grams) baking soda
- 1¼ teaspoons (2.5 grams) ground cinnamon
- ¾ teaspoon (2.25 grams) kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon (1 gram) ground nutmeg
- 1 (20-ounce) can (567 grams) crushed pineapple, drained
- 1¼ cups (284 grams) mashed ripe banana
- 1 cup (224 grams) canola oil
- 3 large eggs (150 grams), lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons (8 grams) vanilla extract
- Cream Cheese Frosting (recipe follows)
- Garnish: chopped toasted pecans
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Spray 2 (8-inch) round cake pans with baking spray with flour. Line bottom of pans with parchment paper; spray parchment.
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, sugars, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg.
- In a medium bowl, stir together pineapple, banana, oil, eggs, and vanilla. Add to flour mixture, stirring until combined. Divide batter between prepared pans, smoothing tops with an offset spatula.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, about 37 minutes. Let cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans, and let cool completely on wire racks.
- To assemble as a one-layer cake, wrap second cake layer in plastic wrap and store in the freezer. Spread frosting over cake and garnish with pecans, if deserved. Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- To assemble as a layer cake, spread frosting between layers and on top and sides of cake. Garnish, cover, and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 (8-ounce) packages (226 grams) cream cheese, softened
- 6 tablespoons (85 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 pound (453.5 grams) confectioners’ sugar, sifted (about 7½ cups)
- 1 tablespoon (15 grams) whole milk
- 1 teaspoon (1 gram) vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon (3 grams) kosher salt
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat cream cheese and butter at medium speed until creamy. Gradually add confectioners’ sugar, beating until combined. Add milk, beating until frosting reaches a spreadable consistency. Add vanilla and salt, beating until combined.
Double frosting to cover a two-layer cake.
The post Classic Hummingbird Cake appeared first on Bake from Scratch.